Saturday, March 19, 2011

Putting the Shoe on the Other Foot: Being the Subject and Not the Photographer

I happen to be on a pretty intense course of self-improvement in the art and technique of photography. Among the bits of valuable advice I have gotten was this little gem; to be a better photographer, move to the other side of the lens. I am naturally camera-shy and I generally don't like to be the center of attention, preferring to observe others more {if you're a photographer this may sound familiar}. The thought of being the subject of a photography session was very strange to me. I knew I had to do it. And it was so helpful to know what it feels like to be the subject of the image (and not the maker of the image). 

I happen to know a number of talented photographers in my social circle. Aga, who is half of the incredibly skilled duo of  http://www.agaimages.com/ did some amazing work making me feel more comfortable(ish) in front of the camera, capturing my essence, and mastering focus and light with nothing more then her camera and lens (not even a reflector!)


Images courtesy of AGAiMAGES


1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a really cool collaboration and role reversal! You two are quite talented.

Post a Comment